The Detroit Regional Partnership (DRP) seeks a Senior Director of Research to lead the research work for the BBBRC grant recently awarded by the U.S. Economic Development Administration. This grant provides funding for six unique projects under the banner of the Global Epicenter of Mobility (GEM), all centered on ensuring that the Detroit region retains and expands its global mobility and automotive leadership. With your extensive experience in research and leadership and your excellent sense of judgment and time management, you will excel in this dynamic, mission-driven environment.
GEM seeks to create a smart, secure, sustainable, and inclusive advanced-mobility industry, starting with the transition to next-generation electric, autonomous, and fully connected vehicles. The GEM research team led by the Senior Director of Research will support the GEM Central project which is the full-time managing body responsible for enabling the region’s existing mobility ecosystem to become better connected, smarter, more inclusive and quickly adapt to change.
The Senior Director of Research reports directly to DRP’s Vice President of Marketing & Business Intelligence, but also works alongside the GEM Executive Vice President/RECO providing full time research support for the entire GEM initiative. This 4-year grant funded position offers unparalleled opportunities to expand your network and the chance to drive massive, positive impact for the Region we call home.
The Senior Director of Research will:
- Lead annual GEM research strategy in support of the six projects that will ensure the grant goals are achieved.
- Develop the GEM research workgroup consisting of key industry stakeholders including industry & industry associations, education, economic & community development, labor and government.
- Convene and lead bi-annual meetings of key stakeholders to identify and prioritize research needs, conduct research, and report out findings.
- Develop and manage research related RFIs in accordance with federal grant procurement procedures and lead research with consultants.
- Conduct social network analysis of the Detroit Region’s mobility ecosystem.
- Support DEI & sustainability research initiatives.
- Support co-recipient research requests.
- Collaborate with marketing and communications to communicate grant outcomes and research findings to key stakeholders such as board members, marketing teams, investors, or partners in research projects.
- Create and track the grant outcomes and metrics through development of a dashboard and data and intelligence central repository.
- Manage the research subaward budget and reporting, including working with the GEM Central team for expense reimbursement.
- Hire and manage one research analyst.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in economics, business, geography, urban and regional planning, statistics, computer science, or related fields is preferred.
- A minimum of 7 to 10 years of experience in Research focused positions
- Strong knowledge of the Detroit Region’s automotive and mobility industry is highly preferred.
- Excellent quantitative and/or qualitative research skills.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage a range of audiences, stakeholders, funders, and partners.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, including program, resource, and performance management.
- Ability to work under own initiative with a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Proven skills in writing for and speaking to a range of audiences to ensure impact, and in using different channels and media.
- Sound knowledge of application of research ethics and data management.
- Experience in developing and leading a high-performing team, including coordinating, and managing projects and priorities, and supporting professional and personal development.
- Proven track record of building strong relationships with government, delivery organizations, partners, and investors.
- Experience of delivering a range of research outputs, including research reports, thematic reviews, articles, blogs, and summaries
- Successful experience developing research proposals and managing consultants.
When you join the Detroit Regional Partnership, you will be part of a small but talented team – a mission minded group of individuals you will be proud to work with. You will be surrounded by engaged leaders that will support your career advancement. With our robust professional development program, amazing networking opportunities, and executive exposure, you will grow professionally.
At DRP, we also offer an attractive compensation and benefits package including generous paid time off, retirement contribution match, health insurance (medical, dental, visual), and life insurance.
Are you ready to do what you love with us? Submit your resume and any relevant supporting materials for consideration to Darrell Maurer, HR & Benefits Coordinator at .
The Detroit Regional Partnership (DRP) is an economic development non-profit dedicated to serving and promoting the 11-county region of southeast Michigan. Founded in 2019 by a group of business and philanthropic CEOs, our organization is laser-focused on marketing the region to out-of-state and international companies, attracting investments, spurring job growth for all, and sharing the Detroit Region’s story with the world.
DRP is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.