Global logistics leaders turn to the Detroit Region to thrive in the North American market
Positioned along the United States’ busiest northern border crossing, the Detroit Region is a global logistics epicenter that moves people, products, and goods seamlessly from Michigan to the U.S. and Canada.
- The Detroit Region is the sixth largest metro in the nation for exports, and Michigan businesses export products to more than 230 countries.
- There’s 584 million square feet of warehousing inventory in the Detroit Region with another 4.3 million square feet under construction.
- By locating in the Detroit Region, businesses can access over 47 million U.S. and Canadian customers within a five-hour drive.
Don’t Take Our Word for It. Hear Why Other Companies Choose Detroit.
“Detroit is not only the automotive industry’s epicenter, it’s also home to the most knowledgeable and experienced logistics talent in the industry.”
— Al Samouelian, CEO, RPM Freight Systems LLC.
“Michigan is a national standout, offering Lineage Logistics the resources and support needed to not only grow but to thrive.”
— Greg Lehmkuhl, President and CEO, Lineage Logistics
Our Location Connects You with Opportunity. Explore The Detroit Region for Yourself.
Logistics Regional Facts
Largest U.S. Metro for Exports
5-year Job Growth
Degrees Conferred in Logistics and Trade-related Programs in Region
People Within 500 Miles of Detroit Region
Nearly Half the U.S. Population
THE DETROIT REGION OFFERS AN UNPARALLELED INDUSTRY ECOSYSTEM. LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT MAKES OUR HOME UNIQUE.
Our strategic location gives companies unparalleled access to the U.S. and Canadian markets.
The Detroit Region is a bustling logistics hub and a premier business location for logistics companies looking to relocate or expand their operations. Our robust ecosystem includes an international border, a top-ranked international airport, an extensive network of freeways, and a 500-mile market reach that encompasses almost half of the U.S. and Canadian populations.
- The Detroit Metro exports $44 billion along the busiest northern border crossing in the U.S.
- There are over 47 million people within just a five-hour drive of the Detroit Region.
- Michigan is the #1 exporter to Canada and #3 to Mexico with 50% of truck goods from Canada flowing through Detroit.
The Detroit Region has an exceptional talent pipeline that can meet any workforce needs.
The Detroit Metro is home to some of the nation’s top supply chain and logistics programs. Our regional logistics education efforts and institutional partners ensure that our workforce has the in-demand skills necessary to thrive as logistics technology and just-in-time delivery disrupts the entire industry.
- The Detroit Region has more than 160,365 logistics workers, including transportation, wholesale, and warehousing jobs.
- There are more than 700 post-secondary institutions within a five-hour drive of Detroit.
- Michigan State University offers the nation’s #1 supply chain management program, while the #5 program is at the University of Michigan.
The Detroit Region’s world-class infrastructure supports one of the most complex supply chains in the U.S.
Logistics companies thrive in the Detroit Region because our sophisticated supply chain moves at the speed of innovation. The region meets the complexities of smart manufacturing and just-in-time delivery throughout North America, serving a robust automotive cluster and remaining a leader in moving people, products, and goods around the world.
- The Detroit Region has more than 2,000 miles of interstates and highways, four Class I railroads, seven cargo ports, and 15 local airports.
- The Detroit Metropolitan Airport alone offers more than 140 non-stop flight destinations to four continents.
- The new Gordie Howe International Bridge will provide two of North America’s largest entry ports.
Logistics Sources: Bridge and Tunnel Operators Association, CoStar Group, Crain’s Detroit Business, Emsi Economic Modeling, Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, U.S. News and World Report, Wayne County Airport Authority
Contact Our Expert
VP, Global Investment & Trade