The Detroit Region is a top U.S. tech hub where companies launch and scale
- Detroit ranks the top location globally for startup ecosystems (Startup Genome, 2022) and is home to five unicorn companies.
- The Detroit Metro ranks #3 in the U.S. for tech talent cost versus quality (2021).
- Michigan ranked the #1 state for venture capital (VC) growth at 886% from 2016 to 2020.
Don’t Take Our Word for It. Hear Why Other Companies Choose Detroit.
The Detroit Region: The Tech Talent to Launch & Scale Your Next Tech Operation
Our Location Connects You with Opportunity. Explore The Detroit Region for Yourself.
Digital Technology Regional Facts
The Detroit Region offers an affordable, talent-rich ecosystem for tech companies. Learn more about how the DRP can help you grow in the region.
Tech sector growth is surging in the Detroit Region and Michigan.
The Detroit Region and Michigan are emerging as one of the top tech hubs in the country, rapidly drawing in new tech companies and investment. In fact, according to San Francisco’s Crunchbase, Michigan is the #1 fastest growing state for venture capital and gaining a reputation as one of the premier locations to grow a tech business.
- There are more than 83,000 tech related workers in the Detroit Region and Detroit ranks the #2 most inclusive metro for tech workers by CompTIA (2022).
- There was more than $1.4 Billion of Venture Captial investment in Michigan with $5.4 Billion under management (2022).
- Google, Microsoft, Amazon Tech Hub, LinkedIn, Rocket Mortgage, and IBM are among the many global tech companies with locations in the Detroit Region.
The Detroit Region offers skilled, diverse tech talent.
Detroit is no stranger to innovation. Our talent is developing, designing, and producing the technology of today and the innovations of tomorrow. The Detroit Region has one of the most diverse and deep talent pools in the country, supported by world-class universities that produce graduates with the skills tech companies need to thrive.
- The Detroit Metro ranks the #3 metro for tech talent quality and affordability, along with ranking #1 for manufacturing tech talent density (2021).
- The Detroit Region has a regional tech workforce of more than 83,000, including 25,000 software developers and nearly 13,000 computer specialists (2022).
- Detroit is ranked the #2 U.S. Metro for most diverse tech workforce in 2020, based on the Diversity Index Quartile by CompTIA (2022).
Our business ecosystem offers everything tech companies need to launch, innovate, and scale.
The Detroit Region offers a unique tech ecosystem where entrepreneurs thrive in one of the nation’s hottest markets. Companies can plug into a vast network of partners that includes universities, co-working spaces, accelerators, incubators, tech companies, and service providers that have the resources and knowledge to help companies quickly launch and scale their operations.
- The Detroit Region is home to 5 unicorns, including Duo Security, Llamasoft, Rivian, OneStream, and StockX, as well as the headquarters of 19 Fortune 1,000 companies.
- Michigan has more than 1,500 angel investors, who contributed approximately $69.1 million in investment in 2022.
- Of the 111 companies that received angel funding in Michigan, nearly 37% were minority-owned and 20% women-owned (MVCA 2022).
Contact Our Expert
VP, Global Investment & Trade