The population of the Detroit region is one of the largest in the nation, providing companies a diverse and robust market for recruiting.
- The Detroit MSA population ranks as the 14th largest metro in the nation
- Sex: Female (51.2%) & Male (48.8%)
- Race: White (71.4%), Black (20.1%), Hispanic (4.5%), Asian (4.4%) & Other (1.1%).
- Median household income of $59,485, which increased 18.8% in the last 5 years
- The region’s millennial population (ages 25-34) rose by 9.9% to 723,384 residents between 2014 and 2018
- In 2018, the Detroit Region was home to nearly 510,000 foreign-born residents, up 9.4% over the last 5 years
18 Fortune 1,000 firms, including 10 on the Fortune 500 list
residents between the ages of 20-34 in the region
engineers employed in the region, Greatest concentration of engineering talent in the United States
The Detroit Region is home to one of the largest, most diverse, innovative, and cost-effective workforces in the United States.
- A civilian labor force of 2.7 million people – larger than the workforces of 30 states
- 90.6% of the population 25 and older hold a high school degree or higher
- 41.0% of the population hold an Associate’s degree or higher
- More than 583,000 high-skilled, tech-savvy skilled trade workers currently employed in the region
- 70,000 people employed in the IT industry and 21,000 software developers and programmers occupations
The Detroit region’s network of K-12 and higher education institutions provide companies a consistent pipeline of first-class talent necessary to drive future growth.
- More than 800,000 K-12 students attend 1,600 public and charter schools in the region
- 34 colleges and universities, producing 70,000 graduates annually
- 35,000 foreign students study at Michigan’s colleges and universities
- Detroit regional community colleges educate nearly 121,000 students and work with local companies to develop customized workforce training programs
- The University of Michigan ranks 6th among engineering/technology and computer science programs in the world