Research, Engineering & Design
No place combines research, design, and engineering like the Detroit Region
From concept to consumer, companies find everything they need to deliver world-class innovation here in the Detroit Region. With top engineers, cutting-edge technology, and nationally ranked research universities, solutions to the world’s most complex challenges start here.
- The Detroit Metro ranks #2 in the U.S. for engineering and technician talent with more than 86,000 workers in the Detroit Region.
- Detroit is the first and only UNESCO City of Design in the United States.
- Our University Research Corridor is one of the nation’s top academic research clusters and a leading engine for talent and innovation.
Don’t Take Our Word for It. Hear Why Other Companies Choose Detroit.
XL Fleet Moves to the Detroit Region
The Detroit Region continues to lead the charge for electrification in the automotive industry by attracting innovative EV companies like XL Fleet. From state incentives to talent recruitment, the Detroit Regional Partnership helped them every step of the way, supporting the creation of nearly 50 new jobs.
“At Apple, we are thrilled to open the first Apple Developer Academy in the U.S. in downtown Detroit–a city full of resilience, creativity, and entrepreneurship.”
– Lisa Jackson, Apple
“Locating in the Detroit Region allows the company to draw from one of the densest engineering talent pools in the United States. Quality talent, low-cost of living, and many other factors were among decisive reasons Ann Arbor was selected for our new R&D hub.”
– Bobby Bell, KLA-Tencor
GM Builds New Center in Warren to Unlock Cheaper, Longer-Range Batteries
Die Casting Manufacturer Pace Industries Relocates HQ, Adds 60 jobs to Novi
Ford to Accelerate Battery Development with $185M Ford Ion Park Lab
Our Location Connects You with Opportunity. Explore The Detroit Region for Yourself.
Research, Engineering & Design Regional Facts
Jobs in Research, Engineering & Design
Businesses in the Industry Cluster
U.S. Metro for Engineers and Technicians
Gross Regional Product
of the Detroit RED Cluster
State for Inventors
With 9,454 Patents in 2019
U.S. Metro for Commercial and Industrial Designers
THE DETROIT REGION OFFERS AN UNPARALLELED INDUSTRY ECOSYSTEM. LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT MAKES OUR HOME UNIQUE.
The Detroit Region stands out as a top location for research, design, and engineering talent.
When it comes to innovation, there’s no substitute for talent. Here in Detroit, our legacy of innovation continues to grow thanks to our highly skilled workforce. The Detroit Region produces and attracts top tier talent with the skills and specialized knowledge to design, engineer, manufacture, and ship just about anything.
- Detroit is the #2 U.S. Metro in total and concentration of engineering talent with more than 86,000 jobs in the field.
- The Detroit Metro is #1 in the U.S. for both mechanical and industrial engineers.
- Detroit is the #2 U.S. Metro for commercial and industrial designers, with a higher overall talent density than Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles combined.
Our nationally recognized University Research Corridor fuels Detroit’s innovative talent pipeline.
The University Research Corridor is one of the nation’s top academic research clusters. Together, Michigan State University, the University of Michigan, and Wayne State University anchor a vast network of higher education institutions that continue to lead world-class research and supply talent to the region.
- Nearly 7,900 students graduate annually from research, engineering, and design programs in the region.
- The University of Michigan is the nation’s #1 public research institution for research spending with 11 highly ranked engineering programs (U.S. News and World Report).
- The Detroit Region also has some of the nation’s top design programs at the College of Creative Studies and Cranbrook Academy of Arts.
The Detroit Region’s unique and diverse ecosystem supports innovation at every level.
The Detroit Region is a premier global design hub where top tier universities, international businesses, and leading research organizations collaborate on innovation. Our region offers the talent, knowledge, and resources that companies need to engineer solutions in any industry–from automotive, to fashion, to digital tech, and everything in between.
- Detroit is the first UNESCO City of Design in the United States and the onlyS. city to earn that designation.
- The Detroit Region is home to more than 2,100 businesses in the RED industry cluster.
- Commerical and industrial designer talent density in the Detroit Metro is more than Chicago, New York, and Los Angles combined.
Research, Engineering & Design Sources: Brookings Institution, Emsi Economic Modeling, National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics, University Research Corridor
Contact Our Expert
Managing VP, Business Development