The Detroit Region is a premier smart manufacturing hub
- The Detroit Region ranks #1 in the U.S. for assemblers and production talent with more than 200,000 total jobs in 2021.
- Michigan has more robots deployed in manufacturing plants than any other state, comprising 12% of all robots in the United States.
- The Detroit Region is the #2 U.S. Metro for plastics manufacturing jobs, with a dedicated workforce of over 31,000 people.
Don’t Take Our Word for It. Hear Why Other Companies Choose Detroit.
Yanfeng: Global Supplier Hires 600+ in Expansion
— Jason Lazar, Nabtesco Motion Controls
Robotics Firm Moves to Royal Oak Township from Southern California
BASF Opens New 3D Printing Center in Detroit
Our Location Connects You with Opportunity. Explore The Detroit Region for Yourself.
Smart Manufacturing Regional Facts
THE DETROIT REGION OFFERS AN UNPARALLELED INDUSTRY ECOSYSTEM. LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT MAKES OUR HOME UNIQUE.
Smart manufacturing is booming in the Detroit Region’s innovative ecosystem.
The Detroit Region is a top location for automotive manufacturing, mobility talent, and aerospace innovation—all powered by Industry 4.0 technology. So, it should come as no surprise that smart manufacturers are looking to the Detroit Region to lead the industry as businesses continue to integrate automated and smart manufacturing technologies.
- The Detroit Region is home to more than 7,400 smart manufacturing companies.
- Michigan ranks #1 for total tool and die makers with more than 9,800 jobs—nearly double the number from the next highest state.
- Out of the top metros for manufacturing jobs, Detroit is ranked the #2 U.S. Metro for manufacturing talent affordability and density.
Detroit is at the forefront of manufacturing robotics and Industry 4.0 technology.
The Detroit Region is a global destination for companies that want to revolutionize the manufacturing industry. Our location provides easy access to a world-class supply chain, cutting-edge robotics, and innovative technology integration tailored to nearly any industry—from mobility to defense manufacturing.
- Michigan is the #1 state for connected vehicles deployments with 500 miles of connected vehicle infrastructure.
- Detroit is the #1 U.S. Metro for robots deployed with more than 15,000, which is three times the national average.
- Michigan attracts $15.8 billion in annual automotive R&D, which was nearly 70% of the U.S. total in 2018.
Our expert engineering and manufacturing talent makes a difference.
The Detroit Region has been leading innovation in the manufacturing industry for over a century—and we have the talent pipeline to prove it. With world-class research universities and higher education institutions, our region supports one of the densest and most affordable engineering and manufacturing workforces in the United States.
- Detroit is the #2 U.S. Metro for total engineering talent, with more than 89,000 engineers and technicians.
- The Detroit Region had nearly 4,000 manufacturing annual graduates in 2020, including nearly 1,600 in mechanical engineering.
- Detroit is the #1 U.S. Metro for both mechanical engineers and industrial engineers, with 29,999 and 18,592 jobs respectively.
Contact Our Expert
VP, Global Investment & Trade