The Detroit Region is a premier smart manufacturing hub
- One of the largest and densest manufacturing talent metros in the nation is Detroit, with a manufacturing workforce of more than 240,000 workers (2022).
- Detroit ranks #1 for total assemblers out of all U.S. metros, along with having one of the lowest turnover rates (2022).
- The top location for manufacturing technology talent is Detroit (2021) and ranks the #1 U.S. metro for tool and die makers total and density (2022).
Don’t Take Our Word for It. Hear Why Other Companies Choose Detroit.
Yanfeng: Global Supplier Hires 600+ in Expansion
– Jason Lazar, Nabtesco Motion Controls
Our Location Connects You with Opportunity. Explore The Detroit Region for Yourself.
Smart Manufacturing Regional Facts
THE DETROIT REGION OFFERS AN UNPARALLELED INDUSTRY ECOSYSTEM. LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT MAKES OUR HOME UNIQUE.
Smart manufacturing is booming in the Detroit Region’s innovative ecosystem.
The Detroit Region is a top location for automotive manufacturing, mobility talent, and aerospace innovation–all powered by Industry 4.0 technology. So, it should come as no surprise that smart manufacturers are looking to the Detroit Region to lead the industry as businesses continue to integrate automated and smart manufacturing technologies.
- The Detroit Region is home to more than 7,400 smart manufacturing companies.
- Michigan ranks #1 for total tool and die makers with more than 9,800 jobs–nearly double the number from the next highest state.
- Out of the top metros for manufacturing jobs, Detroit is ranked the #2 U.S. Metro for manufacturing talent affordability and density.
Detroit is at the forefront of manufacturing robotics and Industry 4.0 technology.
The Detroit Region is a global destination for companies that want to revolutionize the manufacturing industry. Our location provides easy access to a world-class supply chain, cutting-edge robotics, and innovative technology integration tailored to nearly any industry–from mobility to defense manufacturing.
- Michigan is the #1 state for connected vehicles deployments with 500 miles of connected vehicle infrastructure.
- Detroit is the #1 U.S. Metro for robots deployed with more than 15,000, which is three times the national average.
- Michigan attracts $14 billion in annual automotive R&D, which was nearly 67% of the U.S. total in 2019.
Our expert engineering and manufacturing talent makes a difference.
The Detroit Region has been leading innovation in the manufacturing industry for over a century–and we have the talent pipeline to prove it. With world-class research universities and higher education institutions, our region supports one of the densest and most affordable engineering and manufacturing workforces in the United States.
- Detroit is the #2 U.S. Metro for total engineering talent, with more than 86,000 engineers and technicians.
- Detroit is the #1 U.S. Metro for mechanical engineers at nearly 30,000 and industrial engineers at more than 18,000.
Contact Our Expert
Managing VP, Business Development